31 Unbelievable Facts About India That Will Surprise Every IndianMarch 21, 2021
However, there are some unknown facts about India that every Indian or anyone who loves India should know.
1. Hindi is not the national language of India
Shocked? Let’s break your bubble by telling that India has more than 20 official languages and Hindi is one of them.
2. India doesn’t have a national game
No. Hocked is not India’s national game contrary to popular belief. In fact, there is no national game at all.
3. There are places in India where a man marries a woman and moves to his mother-in-law’s house
Yes you heard it right. In many places in India, a man moves to his wife’s house. Sounds interesting, isn’t it? Khasi in Meghalaya and matrilineal Muslims in Minicoy, Lakshadweep are few examples.
4. Three cities of India are world’s fastest growing cities from 2006 and 2020
Indian cities including Ghaziabad, Surat and Faridabad are among world’s fastest growing cities.
5. Bear Grylls wanted to join Indian Army
Man Vs. Wild presenter Bear Grylls had a dream of joining the Indian Army after getting out of school.
6. USB was developed by an Indian-American computer architect
USB, which is one of the most commonly used thing in today’s life was invented by an Indian-origin computer architect Ajay V. Bhatt.
7. Doctor Strange aka Benedict Cumberbatch volunteered as an English teacher in Darjeeling
Yes. Doctor Strange actually lived in India for a year. He taught English in a Tibetan Monastery in Darjeeling.
8. India is responsible for origin of Calculus and Trigonometry
As much as we hate these subjects, they have come out of India and then reached the world.
9. Production Cost of one 1 Rupee coin is Rs. 1.11
Cost of Rs 2 coin is Rs 1.28 and Rs 5 coin is 3.69 and that of new Rs 10 metallic currency coins costs Rs 5.54.
10. India is the largest troop contributor to the United National Peacekeeping Missions
You will be proud to know that India has provided the largest number of troopers for United Nations Peacekeeping Missions and save thousands of lives.
11. The Gathering of Kumbh Mela is visible from space
Look at the picture of Kumbh Mela clicked from outer space.
12. World’s largest school is located in India
City Montessori School in Lucknow holds the Guinness Book of World Record for being the largest school in the world in terms of number of students.
13. Indian Railways has around 1.4 million employees
This number is more than the population of many popular cities in the world!
14. India is the largest English-speaking population after the USA
In India, 11.38% of population knows English language. But due to high population, we have achieved this feat.
15. India’s first rocket was carried on a bicycle in 1963 and the first satellite on a bullock cart
See it for yourself and then believe.
16. India’s space program is one of the Top 5 Space Programs in the World
Despite budget restraints, India has made it to the top 5 of space programs in the world.
17. Haldiram’s is a true Indian success story
Haldiram’s Bhujiawala history us older than the independence of India. Starting from a small shop in Bikaner, Rajasthan, Halidram’s blossomed into a company with an annual turnover of more than that of McDonald’s and Domino’s combined.
18. Ben Kingsley’s birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji
The popular Hollywood actor is Indian by descent and his birth name is named after a Hindu God Lord Krishna.
19. The Pentium Chip was invented by an Indian inventor
Vinod Dham, who is known as the Father of the Pentium Chip is the mastermind behind the invention of Pentium Chip. They are the highly-acclaimed processor chips from Intel.
20. India gave Buttons to the world
Yes. Buttons that keep our shirts and things together are given to the world by Indians.
21. Plastic Surgery was majorly invented in India
Sushruta, an ancient surgeon made significant contributions to the medical science in the field of plastic and cataract surgery back in 6th century! Can you believe it?
22. Until 1986, India was the only official place for Diamonds
No wonder why Britain was so hell-bent in keeping their Colonial rule in India.
23. Dolphins are regarded as non-human persons in India
Dolphins are certainly cognitively-strong and interactive as compared to other animals. This is the reason why Government of India declared that they should be treated like humans. Holding them captive is illegal in India.
24. India is the largest producer of movies
Bollywood, Kollywood and other regional film industries together helm more movies than any countries in the world.
25. You can get personalised postage stamps in India
You can easily get a personalised stamp with your picture on it from the government here.
26. Highest cricket pitch in the world is situated in Chail, Himachal Pradesh
The magnificent cricket pitch is located at a height of 2,444 metres above the sea level.
27. Bengaluru has increased its office supply by six folds since 2006
Bengaluru becoming the IT hub of India, is having a lots of start-ups budding there.
28. Samosa is not INDIAN. Period
No matter how much it hurts to know, but Samosa is not an Indian dish. It was originated in Central Asia.
29. Kites were not invented by Indians
Another jolt? Yes. The kites you fly on Makar Sakranti are not invented by Indians. They were invented by China.
30. The good ‘ol Rajma is also not Indian
Rajma came to India from Mexico and became a part of our cuisine. Didn’t we know it already in our hearts?
31. Freddie Mercury of Queen had Indian parents
Freddie Mercury’s parents were Parsis from Gujarat, India.